About the Penn Legacy Academy Program
Academy Program Philosophy and How Players Progress through the Program:
One of the main objectives of the ACADEMY is to ensure ALL Players, Parents and Coaches are being educated in a FUN learning environment. The U8 Program is divided into gender groups, and players are grouped based on age and similar skill level. The Club believes this creates a healthy environment for KIDS, Coaches and Parents.
- For Under 4/5 sessions are held once per week for an hour. Players are grouped into sessions by age. This allows for age appropriate activities concentrating on motor skill development, fun and nurturing a love of the game.
- At the Under 6 level, players are grouped by gender. At this age, players will practice once per week for an hour and games are on Saturdays. U6 boys and U6 girls will practice under the guidance of a volunteer parent coach.
- At the Under 7 level, players are divided by gender. Players will practice once per week for an hour and games are on Saturdays. U7 boys and U7 girls will practice under the guidance of a volunteer parent coach.
- At the Under 8 level, players are grouped based on gender. This age will play a 6v6 format consisting of 5 field players plus a Goalkeeper. In addition, the field size will be larger, bigger goals will be used, and a Penalty Box for Goalkeepers will be added. U8 boys and U8 girls will practice under the guidance of a volunteer parent coach . A Sunday evening optional practice night is offered for the Under 8 age group to help transition players to the U9 & U10 programs, where players train two times per week for an hour and a half.
Following the Under 8 Academy:
- Under 9 Penn Legacy Directors Development Program or
- Under 10 Hempfield Soccer Club Recreation Program.
For both the Penn Legacy U9 DDP Program and the HSC U10 Rec Program, boys and girls teams train twice per week for an hour and a half and games are typically on the weekends. U9 teams in the DDP will play 5v5 & 6v6. U10 teams in HSC Rec will play 6v6 & 8v8.
More information about the U9 DDP and the U10 Rec program can be found on the travel pages.